Los Angeles Region FIRST® LEGO® League (LAR FLL)
Judging at FLL®Tournaments
FLL has redesigned the rubrics and awards!
FLL is known around the globe not only for what we do (the Robot Game and Project), but also how we do it, with Core Values at the heart. We have refined the rubrics to better reflect these three equally important aspects of FLL.
Official tournaments must follow the judging and awards structure determined by FLL. Although the audience mostly sees teams playing the Robot Game at tournaments, teams are also being judged on:
- Core Values
- Robot Design
- Teams must participate in all elements of an FLL competition including the Robot Game and all three judged areas in order to be eligible for any FLL Core Award.
- Judges use the rubrics to help them determine which teams will receive awards.
- With the exception of the Robot Performance award, FLL awards are determined by a deliberation process, which is formulated around discussions of team performance in each category.
- If a team does not exhibit Core Values at a tournament, they will be disqualified from winning any awards – including Robot Performance, no matter how well they scored.
- No team is allowed to win two awards, unless one of the awards is for Robot Performance. Robot Performance is the only category based solely on score.
- While they may attend other events for fun, teams are only eligible to win awards at the first official event of each qualifying level attended during the season.